Somos is an innovative technology company that provides an expanding portfolio of products and services related to number administration for the toll-free, messaging and wider telecommunications industries. As an enabler of innovation, Somos is taking the lead in promoting the technological and market evolution taking place in these industries as well as building products that support and fuel such evolution. We are looking for forward-thinking, innovative people who have proven track records of taking ownership and making things happen.
The Principal Software Architect will provide leadership in the identification of new technologies, solutions, implementations or derivative works to enhance Somos products. A successful candidate will be a strong technical leader, a great collaborator who thrives in an Agile team, with hands on experience building applications or services used at scale on AWS. The best candidates are those who possess these leadership traits, have a strong telecom background, pride themselves on extreme reliability, the ability to effortlessly perform under pressure and thrive in an Agile development environment.
The Principal Software Architect will proactively identify problem areas, drive innovation, technology strategy and architecture across a technically diverse solution portfolio. If you are looking for a dynamic, high-performing environment, where you can help advance the future of telecommunications, you should consider joining Somos!
Core Responsibilities & Accountabilities
- Develop and maintain architecture blueprints, product interoperability, and SaaS strategy, future state architecture, and multiyear execution road map.
- Collaborate with other architects to create and document standards and patterns that can be leveraged for future re-use, and actively seek opportunities to leverage industry solutions for new business offerings and services.
- Architect, design and implement Somos solutions iteratively with a SCRUM team of developers and test engineers. Coding, knowledge sharing, and mentoring is required to establish good patterns and creating flow.
- Engage product team, cross-functional teams, Dev Ops team, QA team, Support and downstream teams as needed.
- Serve as a trusted adviser to leaders and business stakeholders in the development of the strategic portfolio or business unit plans.
- Collaborate with customers, vendors, industry consultants and senior company leadership to continuously learn and identify opportunities to advance on our business strategy.
- Analyze tools, lead tool comparisons, and make objective recommendations based on data.
- Train and mentor team members and colleagues.
Essential Qualifications & Skills
- Deep understanding of microservices, containerization, serverless, SQL and no-SQL databases, data modeling and analytics, caching, security, REST APIs, build automation, test automation, and infrastructure automation.
- Proven hands on experience with building, maintaining and supporting large scale software solutions in an AWS serverless environment or with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Highly skilled in Lean Agile software development.
- Experience in the evaluation of COTS solutions as well as “Build vs. Buy vs. Outsource” decisions.
- Significant experience with high throughput, low latency, highly available, self-healing systems
- Excellent communication skills. Communicates technical vision and innovation ideas clearly, succinctly and persuasively to all levels of employees, customers, management and executive management.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience with progressive levels of responsibility; 5+ years of recent relevant experience in a leadership architect role.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related Engineering field.
- Have led multiple teams in delivering high quality software.
- Three or more years of Telecommunications experience
- Practical experience with AWS services like EC2, S3, SNS, SQS, Lambda, Cognito, IAM, DynamoDB, VPC
- Practical experience with Docker Containers and Kubernetes Orchestration
- Practical experience with databases like MongoDB, MySQL, Oracle
- Practical experience with data warehouses like Snowflake
- Authentication and Authorization technologies (LDAP, Kerberos, Active Directory)
- Authentication and Authorization protocols (e.g. OAuth 2.0, OpenID Connect, SAML)
Somos is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we embrace and celebrate our employees’ differences. We are committed to building a team that is diverse and represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.