The Program Manager role leads and has overall, end-to-end responsibility of successful program execution, from shaping the approach to achieve the desired outcomes through to delivery. The Program Manager coordinates projects and resource management within the program, ensures proper stakeholder and sponsor communications, consolidates and delivers executive briefing and reporting and performs program level financial management for budget, actual spend and forecast. The Program Manager also owns responsibility for contract management, scope, change requests, deliverables and acceptance of contract milestones. The projects and programs may be clearly defined or require dynamic change management to meet risk and issue challenges in successful delivery of project and program services and products and are expected to deliver business value for Somos and its customers.
Core Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Leads the development of the overall approach for the program including methodology for execution, its major time frames and the definition of its major deliverables to address and meet the desired goals and outcomes.
- Partners with the executive sponsor to communicate program goals, objectives and potential outcomes.
- Leads regular interactions with the executive sponsor to inform, alert, negotiate and maintain a continuing good relationship and shared vision for the program outcome.
- Establishes and ensures appropriate governance functions for the program in accordance with enterprise policies, practices and on behalf of the executive sponsor or senior responsible owner.
- Directs the creation and maintenance of the required program documentation and artifacts.
- Develops and controls the program budget and manages expenditure within agreed spending plans.
- Ensures and balances the availability of the required skills and competencies across project teams within the program.
- Leads reviews with the executive sponsor and stakeholders to identify organic or specific program needs and changes and directs the development of appropriate approaches to address.
- Leads the development and maintenance of stakeholder mapping, communications and reporting.
- Acts as the senior advisor and builds and maintains relationships across the wider stakeholder community.
- Leads the oversight of program projects’ execution, their progress compared with the plan and the production of agreed deliverables.
- Monitors and coordinates dependencies across the projects in the program and resolves conflicts.
- Directs or approves the establishment of a framework or guidelines for the use of contractors and professional service providers and determines their use across the program.
- Supports and facilitates agenda setting for program committee/board meetings.
- Manages contractor resources through the respective external leadership or delivery PMO organizations. Coordinates and ensures consistent delivery practices and alignment of services and deliverables.
- Provide leadership and motivation to project team members throughout the project and program life cycle and confer with project staff to outline work plan.
- Act as a coach to junior project managers, executives and others who need assistance and advice regarding project management practices.
- Establish a work plan and staffing for project activities, iterations or phases, and arrange for assignment of project support personnel.
- Review project proposals or plans to determine time frame, funding limitations, procedures for accomplishing projects, staffing requirements and allotment of available departmental resources to various project phases.
- Develop project charters, change requests, change proposals, and ongoing project related reporting throughout the project life-cycle.
- Analyze project proposals to determine time frame, funding limitations and appropriate process for accomplishing projects.
- Review/approve work plan of external service provider or consultancy contracted to execute project.
- Implement project communication plan.
- Perform risk assessment and implement mitigation plans.
- Monitor project activities, ensuring the currency, quality and integrity of the information, while providing consistency in content and “look and feel” across the enterprise.
- Ensure that project goals are accomplished and in line with business objectives.
- Assign tasks, duties, responsibilities and scope of authority to project personnel.
- Direct and coordinate activities of project personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within budget.
- Develop and review status reports prepared by project personnel and modify schedules or plans as required.
- Establish standards and procedures for project reporting and documentation.
- Continuously benchmark project management performance to identify improvements and achieve higher capability maturity in project and portfolio management.
- 10 or more years of experience in IT business/industry
- Five to seven years in diverse roles with increasing leadership responsibilities across major projects and programs
- Substantial consulting leadership experience
- Demonstrated experience in managing “upward” among senior leadership
- Demonstrated experience in leading diverse teams
- Demonstrated experience and ability in successfully using “soft skills” or “people skills”
Knowledge and Skills
- Exceptional leadership skills, with the ability to develop and communicate the program objectives, inspire and motivate staff, and maintain alignment with the business strategy.
- A high degree of political sensitivity, astuteness and the ability to use the informal power structure of the organization to achieve program success and overcome obstacles.
- A high level of empathy and the ability to vary styles of interaction to match the needs of a variety of temperaments and personalities.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to explain and “sell” the program goals and objectives to the business, as well as technical leadership.
- Strong business acumen, including industry- and domain-specific knowledge of the organization and its business units. Familiarity with industry trends and innovation.
- Influencing and negotiation experience and skills in an environment with high competition for resources.
- Excellent analytical, strategic planning and execution skills.
- Ability to develop programs and deliver them with financial and resource constraints.
- Experience with at least one project/program management methodology, such as: The Project Management Institute’s Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMI PMBOK), PRINCE2, Agile, Managing Successful Programs (MSP).
- Experience across a range of project types.
- Knowledge of project planning tools, such as Microsoft Project and Project Server, with evidence of practical application.
- Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and how other organizations are employing current and emerging technologies to drive business outcomes.
- Distinctive blend of business, IT, financial and communication skills, in support of a highly visible position with substantial impact
- Effective influencing and negotiating skills in an environment in which this role may not directly control resources
- Strong knowledge and understanding of business needs, with the ability to establish and maintain a high level of customer trust and confidence
- Ability to support a tactical resource plan by mapping future demand to forecast project completions in the project portfolio
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute a project resource plan that ensures that the right people are in the right place doing the right things at the right time
Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, project management, information systems or a related field; project management and/or general business management; or equivalent, related IT experience. Formal project manager training expected, current PMI certification required, Agile, Six Sigma, vendor management and other professional certifications are a plus.
Somos is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we embrace and celebrate our employees’ differences. We are committed to building a team that is diverse and represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.